Re: [patch 0/5] Add MMC password protection (lock/unlock) support

From: Anderson Lizardo
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 18:50:23 EST

On 12/14/05, Pierre Ossman <drzeus-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anderson Briglia wrote:
> > - Password caching: when inserting a locked card, the driver should try to
> > unlock it with the currently stored password (if any), and if it fails,
> > revoke the key containing it and fallback to the normal "no password present"
> > situation.
> >

> Would it be possible to use the id of the card as a search key for the
> password? That way several passwords can coexist.

Yes, we have plans for that. The keys managed by the key retention
service have a description field that can be used to uniquely identify
keys and allows searching for specific keys. For this first version of
the code, we are using simply "mmc:key" as the description, which does
not allow more than one MMC password to be stored at a time.

Probably using the entire 128-bit CID for the key description would
waste too much space though, so we are thinking about using just some
CID fields to build a smaller unique ID. The key retention service has
quotas for how much space a keyring can use for payload and key
description, so we should try to keep the description as short as
possible. If a collision occurs and the password is wrong, we can
simply invalidate the key and ask for the password again.

> > - Currently, some host drivers assume the block length will always be a power
> > of 2. This is not true for the MMC_LOCK_UNLOCK command, which is a block
> > command that accepts arbitratry block lengths. We have made the necessary
> > changes to the omap.c driver (present on the linux-omap tree), but the same
> > needs to be done for other hosts' drivers.
> >

> The MMC layer is designed that way, so it's hardly surprising that
> drivers have been coded for it. I'm assuming you've removed blksz_bits
> in favor of something in bytes?

I actually just did the following change to the OMAP code (drivers/mmc/omap.c):

-
- block_size = 1 << data->blksz_bits;
+ /* password protection: we need to send the exact block size to the
+ * card (password + 2), not a 2-exponent. */
+ if (req->cmd->opcode == MMC_LOCK_UNLOCK)
+ block_size = data->sg[0].length;
+ else
+ block_size = 1 << data->blksz_bits;

Given that for the LOCK_UNLOCK command the sg_len will always be 1, we
can get the block size directly from the first entry of the
scatterlist. For other block operations, the blksz_bits value is used
as usual.

Maybe removing blksz_bits and using the block size directly would be
better? Is there any host/card which expects to always receive a
power-of-2 block size for block operations?
--
Anderson Lizardo
Embedded Linux Lab - 10LE