agpgart.ko can't be unloaded

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 15:18:29 EST

Hi,

I recently noticed that agpgart.ko (and corresponding hardware driver)
can't be unloaded:

Module Size Used by
intel_agp 19228 1
agpgart 27592 1 intel_agp

The same is true for via_agp and probably for all other drivers.

The problem is agpgart increases reference count of hw driver
to prevent it from being unloaded, and the hw driver references
agpgart so agpgart can't be unloaded either.

Should agpgart be split into 2 parts, one (which would have to be unloaded
first) managing the thing and the other - the library referenced by
hw drivers?

I wouldn't write about this but there is code to unload them so I think
it's not intentional.
--
Krzysztof Halasa