Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 07:18:25 EST

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 01:56:58PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:

> > > I remember someone from the XFS maintainers (Nathan?) saying they
> > > believe having solved all XFS stack issues.
> > >
> > > If there are any XFS issues left, do you have a pointer to them?
> >
> > The last one I saw may have been actually been more related
> > to the block layer problem. iirc that was a user NFS exporting
> > XFS on a raid1 array.
>
> Yeh, I've noticed that nfsd seems to figure often in these. As nfsd
> lives on the same (in-kernel) stack as the filesystem and device
> drives, it will add a couple of hundred bytes to the call trace.
>
> A typical nfsd call trace is
> nfsd -> svc_process -> nfsd_dispatch -> nfsd3_proc_write ->
> nfsd_write ->nfsd_vfs_write -> vfs_writev
>
> (errr. nfsd_vfs_write is inline, large, and called twice, that ain't
> good)

The nfsd code uses inline in too many places.

gcc can figure out itself that static functions called only once should
be inline (except currently on i386 due to no-unit-at-a-time, see
below).

> These add up to over 300 bytes on the stack.
> Looking at each of these, I see that nfsd_write (which includes
> nfsd_vfs_write) contributes 0x8c to stack usage itself!!
>
> It turns out this is because it puts a 'struct iattr' on the stack so
> it can kill suid if needed. The following patch saves about 50 bytes
> off the stack in this call path.

This works currently on i386 (and only on i386) because we are using
-fno-unit-at-a-time there.

In the medium-term, we want to get rid of no-unit-at-a-time because this
makes the code both bigger and slower, and I'm therefore not a big fan
of this kind of workarounds.

If this struct is really a problem (which I doubt considering it's
size), I'd prefer it being kmalloc'ed.

> NeilBrown

cu
Adrian