Re: ENDEC port and MII interface

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 21:55:21 EST

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:27:05 -0800 kernel coder wrote:

> hi,
> I'm trying to write ethernet driver.I need some explaination on
> ENDEC port and MII interface.By googling i've come to know that MII is
> used for phy communication by modern ethernet cards,but i haven't
> found much info on ENDEC ports.
>
> Actually mine card has option to select ENDEC port or MII interface
> for transmit and recieve.
>
> Please tell me which one should i choose and why.

A little googling tells me that ENDECs are probably limited to
10 Mbps ethernet. E.g., one ethernet controller spec says:

Flexible IEEE 802.3 MII (10/100Mbps) and ENDEC
(10Mbps) Interfaces Allow Selection of PHY

ENDECs just convert from 8bit data to 10bit data on Transmit
(8b/10b) and from 10bit data to 8bit data on Receive.
Is ENDEC vs. MII selection a software config on your adapter
or a hardware config?

---
~Randy