Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 01:09:35 EST

On Dec 18, 2005, at 12:43 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:

You can catch the obvious ones, but the really hard ones
that only occur under high load in obscure exceptional
circumstances with large configurations and suitable nesting you won't.
These would be only found at real world users.

Yep, as it all depends on code complexity, some of these cases might not be "errors" at all - instead for that kind of functionality they might _require_ bigger stacks.

If you have 64 bit machines common place and memory a lot cheaper I don't see how it is beneficial to force smaller stack sizes without giving consideration to the code complexity, architecture and requirements.
(Solaris for example, seems to be going to have 16Kb kernel stacks on 64 bit machines.)

So, please let's leave stack size as an option for users to choose and stop this 4Kb stack war. May be after a little rest I will start another one demanding 16Kb stacks :)

Parag