Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 10:43:11 EST

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 06:43:23AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:03:39AM -0500, Parag Warudkar wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 17, 2005, at 3:52 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> > >And in my experience, many stack problems don't come from code getting
> > >more complex but from people allocating 1kB structs or arrays of
> >
> > And we catch this type of problems fairly easily in the patch review
> > itself, even before accepting the code in mainline. Plus there is
>
> You can catch the obvious ones, but the really hard ones
> that only occur under high load in obscure exceptional
> circumstances with large configurations and suitable nesting you won't.
> These would be only found at real world users.

You miss the fact that many of these problems can be detected by static
analysis.

We know that we don't have any non-recursive paths with > 3 kB stack
usage anymore since the beginning of this year, and the known recursive
problems should be attacked by Neil's patch.

> -Andi

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.