Re: anticipatory scheduler and raid rebuild

From: Neil Brown
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 18:45:28 EST

On Tuesday December 13, cat@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'll be able to play a bit more with this later but for now I thought
> I'd toss it into the wilderness.

Thanks.

> I had jsut setup a nice little server with WD 10k drives and s/w raid 1.
> The kernel is 2.6.14.3. The CPU is a p4 3Ghz and it's an Intel 82875P
> chipset. In order to test that it'll build ok with missing disks I
> pulled one out, booted, shutdown, put it back in and rebooted. I then
> went on to try and get one of the raids to rebuild with:
>
> mdadm --manage -a /dev/md6 /dev/sdb8
>
> And then the server slowed to a crawl. Well not even that. It slowed to
> the point of freezing and occasionally stuttering with activity other
> then the rebuild. I got a similar reaction when it was rebuilding
> it.

I've heard reports of this sort of thing before I think, but I'm
wondering why I never experience it.
What sort of drives do you have? What controller?
What filesystem are you running over the raid1?

> So, does my hardware suck and AS is pushing it beyond its limits or is
> AS unsuitable for the task I am putting it through or is AS buggy and
> all should be well with it?

I suspect it is an odd interaction between md/raid1/rebuild and AS.
AS tries to guess how a process is behaving and the raid1/rebuild
process probably is confusing it. But it is hard to say how until I
can reproduce it.

NeilBrown