Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 04:22:37 EST

Pekka Enberg wrote:

Hi,

On 12/16/05, Puneet Vyas <puneetvyas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If the learned folks here think that "ndiswrapper" is some user space
program that people can live without than at least

ndiswrapper can be fixed to work in a 4k stack environment,
even if the windows driver in use needs more than 4k. This
requires some work, because ndiswrapper will then have to
manage its own stack instead of simply using the provided
kernel stack. It is up to all people who want ndiswrapper to
actually do this work.

Note that this work ought to be done anyway, as windows
drivers really assumes they can use 12k of stack, which they
cannot do even with the current 8k stack.

3 people in my house are doomed. We like to use linux but do not have
luxury that Ismail enjoys. At least windows
does not make such decisions on my behalf. Sigh.

Windows makes a lot of such decisions - you just never see them
if you come from the windows world. Could I run windows on my
machine with two keyboards, supporting two simultaneous users?
And in 64-bit mode too? Not now.

Could all the people with other non-x86 processors run windows? No.

While I understand that you're frustrated, please direct it towards
your vendor who is unwilling to open up the hardware documentation.
The binary-only drivers you are using are not supported on Linux (you
took them from Windows, remember) and the only way you're ever going
to get reliable wireless support is by reverse engineering or vendor
opening up the specs.

Pekka