Very rare crash in prune_dcache

From: John F Flynn III
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 16:38:11 EST

Good evening, folks...

We have been experiencing a very rare (on average once every two to three months) crash on some of our servers.

uname -a:
Linux cheetah 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 13:14:25 CDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

(This is a CentOS provided kernel)

Here is a photo of the bottom of the panic. Unfortunately the kernel has no chance to log this anywhere else:

http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~flynnj/cheetah-crash.jpg

The crash appears to be in prune_dcache, and has happened on several distinct machines, so we do not believe it is a hardware problem.

If anyone has pointers on what bug could be causing this crash, or if it's been fixed in newer kernels we could try, it would be greatly appreciated. This only seems to happen on loaded production machines, and it happens so rarely that more detailed debugging is nearly impossible.

Thanks in advance,
-John Flynn

--
John Flynn flynnj@xxxxxxxxxx