Re: [patch 04/15] Generic Mutex Subsystem, add-atomic-call-func-x86_64.patch

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 03:11:22 EST

Nicolas Pitre wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 09:49 -0800, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

Hi Ingo,
Doesn't this corrupt caller saved registers?

Looks like it. I _really_ don't like calling functions from inline asm. It's not nice. Can't we use atomic_dec_return() for this?

we can use atomic_dec_return(), but that will add one more instruction to the fastpath. OTOH, atomic_dec_return() is available on every architecture, so it's a really tempting thing. I'll experiment with it.

Please consider using (a variant of) xchg() instead. Although atomic_dec() is available on all architectures, its implementation is far from being the most efficient thing to do for them all. For example, see my discussion about swp on ARM:

Considering that on UP, the arm should not need to disable interrupts
for this function (or has someone refuted Linus?), how about:

#ifndef CONFIG_SMP
typedef struct { volatile int counter; } mutex_counter_t;

static inline int mutex_counter_dec_return(mutex_counter *v)
{
return --v->counter;
}

#else
#define mutex_counter_t atomic_t
#endif

Or does that get too bulky or have other problems?

MP ARMs should have an adequate atomic_dec_return.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.