Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Felix Oxley
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 09:34:53 EST

On 19 Dec 2005, at 19:10, Parag Warudkar wrote:

No one is answering what are we gaining from removing the 8K stack "_option_" - few bytes of code size, reason to not fix the VM, for fun, for screwing over? Why not let people choose 8K if they need it?

The proposed patch is for mm only. What you are gaining is wider testing of 4K stacks.

I am just a lurker but, having read the entire thread, it seems to me that:
1) the patch should be applied to mm.
2) ndiswrapper should be modified to work with 4K stacks.

It seems unlikely to me that this patch will be pushed to Linus just because it has been in mm.
If that possibility comes up in 6-12 months then the flamewar can begin again.

regards,
Felix