Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: David Lang
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 13:48:40 EST

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

how many other corner cases are there that these distros just choose not
to support, but need to be supported and tested for the vanilla kernel?

as someone who was at that distro in the time.. none other than XFS and
reiserfs4.

good to hear, outsiders don't know these details. all we know is that some things aren't supported, but (without a lot of effort) don't know what things.

also for those who are arguing that it's only dropping from 6k to 4k, you
are forgetting that the patches to move the interrupts to a seperate stack
have already gone into the kernel, so today it is really 8k+4k and the
talk is to move it to 4k+4k.

actually irq stacks aren't enabled with 8K stacks right now, so your
statement isn't correct.

Ok, I stand corrected, I didn't look at the code, I was going on the memories of the discussions on l-k where the advocates were pushing to enable the interrupt stacks unconditionally, and I was remembering that a patch to do so had gone in.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare