Re: [Alsa-devel] 2.6.15-rc6: boot failure in saa7134-alsa.c

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 13:35:33 EST

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Steve deRosier wrote:

> Thankfully, we've never had to deal with this sort of failure; all of our Alsa
> drivers and services have been well behaved (mostly).

Yes, I think the common case is that built-in _does_ work. I certainly
have used sound that way. This one case is a bit special just because it's
not under the sound/ directory, but I suspect that may be true of some USB
sound"cards" too.

Now, hot-plug devices tend to have a stronger case for being built as
modules, although even there I personally actually end up just building in
the devices I have (whether cardbus cards or things like the USB
printer/mouse/keyboard).

So I don't think sound is terminally broken here, just a few small details
that it gets wrong that causes some odder drivers to not like being built
in.

Linus