Re: [Linux 2.4.32] SATA ICH5/PIIX and Combined mode

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 23:41:04 EST

Paul Rolland wrote:
Well, the other way around is to upgrade e1000 driver in the 2.4.21EL-smp,
as the machine I'm using is quite new, and RHES3 kernel can't find the
Ethernet device, so the machine has no network.
My first idea was to consider this as an opportunity to upgrade to the
latest 2.4.x kernel, but reading you, this looks like a bad idea...
2.6.x would be better ?

First make sure you have the latest RHEL3 errata kernel installed. If that still doesn't work, you could install the latest e1000 driver module from Intel.

Later vanilla 2.4 kernels are not necessarily an "upgrade" from Red Hat kernels based on older 2.4 versions as you lose all the Red Hat patches like NPTL and the O(1) scheduler.

If you are going to go to a 2.6 kernel you might as well just go to a newer distribution.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx