Re: 2.6.15-rc6: known regressions in the kernel Bugzilla

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 08:56:39 EST

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:52:09AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The following bugs in the kernel Bugzilla [1] contain regressions in
> > 2.6.15-rc compared to 2.6.14 with patches:
>
> Thanks for tracking this. Although I fear it won't come to much.

People had been complaining about a lack of testing prior to the final
release of a kernel.

If this was meant serious, we should try hard to fix all regressions
reported by people who do test -rc and -git kernels.

> non-bugzilla post-2.6.14 bugs which I've squirelled away include:
>

> From: Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Linux 2.6.14: Badness in as-iosched

As the subject says, this is not a post-2.6.14 regression.

Besides this, Jens (Cc'ed) sent a patch for it:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/20/119

Was there a reason why it wasn't applied?

> From: Charles-Edouard Ruault <ce@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [BUG] kernel 2.6.14.2 breaks IPSEC

As the subject says, this is not a post-2.6.14 regression.

And reading the discussion on netdev, it seems this wasn't ever expected
to work without additional netfilter patches.

> From: Michael Madore <michael.madore@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: USB handoff, irq 193: nobody cared!

If this is still present, David should look into it:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0511.1/2243.html

> From: Wu Fengguang <wfg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: BUG: spinlock recursion on 2.6.14-mm2 when oprofiling

If this affects Linus' tree, a patch for it is in -mm.

> From: Miles Lane <miles.lane@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: 2.6.15-rc2-git6 + ipw2200 1.0.8 -- Slab corruption

As the subject says, this is a problem when using an external version of
this driver.

> From: "Gottfried Haider" <gohai@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: [2.6.15-rc2] 8139too probe fails (pci related?)

According to the report perhaps not a post-2.6.14 regression.

But anyways, this should be better debugged.

@Gottfried:
Does it work with kernel 2.6.14.4?
Does it work with kernel 2.6.15-rc6?
If it stil fails, can you send a complete dmesg for 2.6.15-rc6?

@Luca, Greg:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/12/91

> From: John Reiser <jreiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: control placement of vDSO page

This is not a post-2.6.14 regression.

> From: "P. Christeas" <p_christ@xxxxxx>
> Subject: No sound from CX23880 tuner w. 2.6.15-rc5

No answer by the submitter when being asked for more information.

> Subject: x86_64 timekeeping buglets
> From: Jim Houston <jim.houston@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Reported against 2.6.13, therefore not a post-2.6.14 regression.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed