Kernel hangs trying to speak to DVD-ROM

From: David Dasenbrook
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 09:21:23 EST

Hello,
I am sending this to the linux-kernel mailing list because I am almost sure that this is a bug in the linux kernel. If it's not, please forgive me and just ignore this message.
I have this weird problem, and I would appreciate if someone could give
me a hint on how to solve it:
Whenever I connect a DVD-ROM drive (ANY DVD-Drive, not just a specific
one) to my computer via the onboard IDE-connector, I cannot boot the kernel any
more. The last message the kernel prints (actually, I think it's the
ide-cd module) after getting hung up is this:

hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x04
hdc: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: request sense failure: error=0x04Aborted Command

I tried using the first and the second IDE channel, using the drive as
master and slave. The strange thing is that CD-drives work perfectly
fine, this happens just with DVD-Drives. Those DVD-Drives work fine in
another computer with the exact same kernel.
My mainboard is an AK70 by DFI, I think the onboard IDE-controller is the
AMD7409 (that's what the kernel says.) I use Linux 2.6.11.
2.4.x kernels don't work either, real old distributions with kernel 2.2
or lower do.
After playing around a bit, I found the DVD works when I type
"hdc=noprobe hdc=cdrom" on the kernel command line. But still, I cannot
do that when trying to run the debian installer or installers of debian
derivatives. When detecting the DVD-ROM drive, the installer just hangs
and I can't do anything any more but reboot. Not to speak of being able to use DMA.
I find this really strange, maybe someone has a clue. If not, thanks
anyway for taking the time to read this message.
If you reply to this, please send me a CC.
Thank you,
David Dasenbrook