Re: nfs insecure_locks / Tru64 behaviour

From: Bernd Eckenfels
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 13:10:05 EST

In article <20051223013933.GB22949@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> That's exactly the problem. The first obvious solution doesn't work.
> Your second solution does. The directory must have the execute bit set
> for other, or the the file cannot be edited, no matter who owns the
> directory (unless the owner/group is nobody/nogroup).

Is it a edit problem or a directory-enter problem (i.e. can you do a "cd d"?).

Is it a general file access problem or only with vi (i.e. can do "echo bla >> file")

If it is a vi specific problem maybe the locking is the problem:

The insecure_locks on Linux server is needed, cause Linux NFS Server will
serve lock requests normally only from root users, and True64 requests from
unpriveledged daemon user. This means fctnl locking cannot be done, and this
might be a problem for vi.

Otherwise check that lockd/statd is running on your server.

I dont know how to turn of locking in Tru64 vi (vim: set lock off) or Tru64
mount (linux: nolock).

Gruss
Bernd