FS possible security exposure ?

From: regatta
Date: Sun Dec 25 2005 - 04:35:06 EST

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding how Linux handle the files permission ,
here is what I found

When logged on to a Linux workstation a user can edit a file (even if
the file on an NFS-mounted NAS directory) if he has write access at
the directory level, even if the file is owned by root (or any other
user) and is read-only.

I tried this in local file system (ext3) and in remote home directory
(autofs) in (NetApp nfs NAS storage)

this is not the case with Solaris , the user will get permission
denied if he try to write any thing to the file.

My question is, what is happening ? and is it correct ? is it possible
to change it to behave to be like Solaris ?

(when you have hundred of users and hundred of NFS and thousand of
net groups you don't want a user to edit other file just because he
has write permission in the patent dir).

Thanks

Best Regards,