Re: [Linux 2.4.32] SATA ICH5/PIIX and Combined mode

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Dec 26 2005 - 21:37:26 EST

Paul Rolland wrote:
Hello,

AFAIR, RedHat still adds support for new hardware to RHES3.

You should contact the RedHat support you are paying for for getting help with RHES3 running on your hardware.

Sure, but I really don't like all the changes RH brings into the
kernel (as many vendors do), and I've always been running vanilla
kernels on top of the distribs, once the installation in completed.

You realize using a non-RH kernel on RHEL isn't a supported configuration.. and if you are fine with this, why are you paying out the money for RHEL instead of using Fedora or CentOS, etc. if you don't care about support?

There are other issues with this, as well.. RHEL4 with 2.6 probably doesn't suffer as many side effects as RHEL3 does since that kernel is closer to mainline. Running a vanilla 2.4 kernel on RHEL3 would be rather crippling - that kernel is closer to 2.6 than 2.4 in some ways.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx