Re: [WTF?] sys_tas() on m32r

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 04:39:45 EST

On 12/23/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 05:55 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > asmlinkage int sys_tas(int *addr)
> > > {
> > > int oldval;
> > > unsigned long flags;
> > >
> > > if (!access_ok(VERIFY_WRITE, addr, sizeof (int)))
> > > return -EFAULT;
> > > local_irq_save(flags);
> > > oldval = *addr;
> > > if (!oldval)
> > > *addr = 1;
> > > local_irq_restore(flags);
> > > return oldval;
> > > }
> > > in arch/m32r/kernel/sys_m32r.c. Trivial oops *AND* ability to trigger
> > > IO with interrupts disabled.
> >
> > Yeah. I pointed this out to Takata in October last year and then promptly
> > forgot about it. It's rather amazing that this code (which appears to be in
> > live use in linuxthreads) hasn't generated oopses.
>
> No one uses LinuxThreads anymore?

Slackware still uses LinuxThreads.
Latest release and -current include both NPTL & LinuxThreads, and use
NPTL if the running kernel is >2.6.4 or LinuxThreads if <=2.6.4 or
when running a 2.4 kernel (2.4 is still the default kernel in
Slackware although 2.6.x is also fully supported).

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>