Re: Serial ATA Lockups

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 02:42:42 EST

Tomas Carnecky wrote:
My setup: Shuttle XPC Barebone, AMD CPU, two serial ATA disks in a software raid setup.
When the system is under heavy load (start World of Warcraft, dd if=/dev/zero of=/part/file etc) I get these messages in dmesg:

ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/84 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0xb/47/00
ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
ata1: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

over and over, pages with these messages.

BadCRC indicates CRC errors during data transfers on the SATA interface. This is almost certainly hardware problems - most likely a bad SATA cable, or maybe a bad drive or motherboard controller.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx