Re: PCI DMA burst delay

From: Burkhard Schölpen
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 11:02:34 EST

>Paul Fulghum <paulkf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 29.12.05 16:30:20:
>
>Burkhard Schölpen wrote:
>> ... in the (rarely) faulty case, the 2nd burst only starts
>> after another delay of about 600ns, which is too late
>
>Looking at the PCI 2.3 specification,
>arbitration latency on the order of a microsecond
>or two does not seem excessive for a 33MHz bus.

Okay, then I think I have to figure out, why I cannot get longer bursts than 512 Bits...does anybody have a clue how I can handle that?

>> ... I deactivated all other pci devices that could disturb the transfers?
>
>Are you accessing registers on your device
>during the DMA transfers? If so, the CPU is
>acting as a PCI master that could delay granting
>the bus to your device.

No, I just made sure that not. There are no register accesses during dma transfer. The driver sends the application to sleep until an interrupt signals the completeness.

Kind regards,
Burkhard