Re: userspace breakage

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 01:23:06 EST

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 08:21:45PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> With 2.6.14 on my testbox, I get this..
>
> $ ls /dev/input/
> event0 event1 mice mouse0
>
> With 2.6.15rc
>
> $ ls /dev/input/
> mice
>
> If I can dig out the bugzilla that reported this, I'll followup.
> Something in my head is telling me it had something to do with
> laptop touchpads, but that could be the post-xmas `nog talking.

When I got bitten with this udev breakage a while ago, it wasn't a
matter of /dev/input/event? in the X configuration file, but that the
Synaptics driver directly searches for /dev/input/event? files to
talk directly to the raw touchpad device driver directly, and fails to
initialize, thus causing the X server initialization to fail. There
may be other failure scenarios, but this was the one I ran into with
my laptop.

- Ted