Re: userspace breakage

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 10:23:59 EST

Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 16:54 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
[....]

The fact that Oracle and IBM support apps on Linux are Freeloading? Baloney!
Linux benefits by having the choice of al these applications.

Do they have binary-only kernel modules or user-space apps?

(P.S. I have heard through the grapevine IBM is putting emphasis on AIX
as their platform and are actively telling this to large customers -- can you verify this and are you aware of it)

Not knwoing any inner IBM things, the simple commercial explanation is:
If a customer buys AIX, he is forced to buy the hardware at IBM. And IBM
is a hardware selling (and consulting) company anyways, it never was a
"software company".

The lawsuit is impacting their sales finally. They are telling this to folks they are moving off Linux long term. I don't know
if it's a smoke screen due to the lawsuit or an actual technical business decision. I would guess they are making a back door
to pull out if the lawsuit goes south. Looks like it might be based on filings on the 12/22 but I don't know for certain.

Jeff

Bernd