Re: system keeps freezing once every 24 hours / random apps crashing

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 18:10:42 EST

On Friday 30 December 2005 22:16, Mark v Wolher wrote:
[snip]

> > Basically you are asking for help with an unsupported configuration. In
> > general people on LKML will be more helpful if you take the time to find
> > out what the bug reporting guidelines are before posting.
> >
> > Lee
>
> Thank you for your input, but sometimes thinking out of the box gives a
> solution instead of hiding behind "guidelines".

I'm surprised Lee fed you this long, but the cold hard fact of the matter is
that you are posting to the Linux kernel mailing lists, and you will comply
with these guidelines if you expect help.

I'm sure the problem might not be with VMWare, but there is absolutely nothing
stopping you from switching nvidia with nv, not loading nvidia/vmware
modules, then running the TV card doing *something else* for a few hours. If
you do not detect lockups, contact VMWare. They will probably do the exact
opposite of what Lee has done and suggest non-VMWare parts of the system are
at fault.

However, unlike VMWare or NVIDIA, we can actually debug problems if you use
source-available modules. Thinking outside of the box here is irrelevant -- a
problem requires logical procedure to gain a solution. Any engineer will tell
you the same thing. Ordinarily, this is test, observe, retest, and all Lee is
suggesting is that you do *not* load the proprietary modules.

Try it before responding to this email, so you do not have to write another.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.