Re: bad pmd filemap.c, oops; 2.4.30 and 2.4.32

From: Chris Stromsoe
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 05:38:40 EST

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 05:48:15PM -0800, Chris Stromsoe wrote:

I'm starting to suspect bad hardware. Booting is now hanging (with 2.4.27, 2.4.30 and 2.4.32) after scsi drivers load:

And nothing changed since previous boot, except UP ?

All I changed was adding nosmp to the kernel boot line.

It's not necessarily bad hardware. I also had trouble on one version of the 29160 bios where it hanged during device scan if there were too many terminations. Oh, BTW, please check that you have disabled "automatic" termination in the BIOS. Manually set it either to ON or OFF (low/high depending on your setup).

I'll have to check it tomorrow or on Monday.

How likely is it that a failing scsi controller contribute to the other problems I was seeing?

Not much. Perhaps at worst, a failing controller could corrupt memory by writing garbage at wrong locations, but you would not always get the same messages. It seems to be a different problem here. To be honnest, it's where I think you should try the new driver.

The machine has been running 2.6.14.4 for the last 6 hours. It came up fine. I did not try booting it with nosmp. If I have time, I will revert back to 2.4 with the newer driver to test.

-Chris