Re: Howto set kernel makefile to use particular gcc

From: Marc Giger
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 06:32:51 EST

Keith, your domain seems not to be resolvable...

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:18:27 +1100
Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marc Giger (on Sun, 1 Jan 2006 12:13:03 +0100) wrote:
> >Why would you "hardwire" it?
> >#export CC="distcc"
> >should do it.
>
> Doubt it. From 'info make', Node: Environment.
>
> Variables in `make' can come from the environment in which `make'
> is
> run. Every environment variable that `make' sees when it starts up
> is transformed into a `make' variable with the same name and value.
> But an explicit assignment in the makefile, or with a command
> argument, overrides the environment. (If the `-e' flag is
> specified, then values from the environment override assignments in
> the makefile. *Note Summary of Options: Options Summary. But this
> is not recommended practice.)
>
> The kernel Makefile explicitly sets CC which overrides the environment
> value, but does not override a command line definition of CC. IOW, do
> not reply on environment variables always working with make.

You are absolutely right. Because I never used it in this way, I wrote
"should":-) I specify it always on the make command line.

So if Kalin would like to hardwire it, he has to change the CC variable
in the Makefile...

Thank you

Marc