Re: Kernel panic with 2.6.15-rc7 + libata1 patch

From: Ralf Müller
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 11:44:53 EST

Adrian Bunk schrieb:

Is this problem present with older kernel (e.g. 2.6.14.x) or is it a newly introduced bug?

It is a newly installed system - 2.6.15-rc6 has been the first kernel at all on this machine - this kernel crashed too. After that I upgraded to 2.6.15-rc7 - it crashed as written in the initial mail. Next was to apply the libata1 patch. It did not give a kernel panic but shut down the SATA subsystem (the hardware is a Promise SATA II 300 TX4 PDC 20718 and an onboard Promise SATA II 150 PDC20579) - non of the six attached disks has been accessible anymore after calling hddtemp on one of the disks which have been in standby. Calling hddtemp on a spinning disk works without a problem.

A further problem is that calling "hdparm -C" _always_ give "drive state is: standby" - even when the disks are clearly active. Maybe this indicates something to you.

I can try to downgrade to 2.6.14 if you like. I started with 2.6.15 because I have been told it is the first kernel which is able to deal with "hdparm -S x" / "hdparm -y" for SATA devices.

I've put Jeff into the Cc of this email since he is the SATA maintainer.

Thanks.

Regards
Ralf