Re: ati X300 support?

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 14:29:35 EST

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 19:32, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
[snip]

> > Yes, you and this link are both out of date. The r300 driver provides
> > basic support for many newer video cards based on the r300 core and is
> > shipped with Xorg 7.0.0.
>
> is this only 7.0.0? i just built 6.9 and i dont have the 'r300' x
> driver, or... is it merged into the 'ati' or 'radeon' xorg driver
> module?

Sorry for the delay Kasper, the driver is still "ati"; if you have DRI
compiled and enabled, the "ati" driver will attempt to set up DRI via the
r300_dri.so that should exist in either /usr/X11R7/lib/modules/dri,
or /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/dri.

You'll need a fairly recently kernel with drm support for r300/r400, but it
seems to work OOTB.

If you do NOT have the dri drivers, it is trivial to install them. Download
MesaLib-6.4.1, then issue:

make linux-dri

When this finishes, point the installer to the right directory. I initially
made the mistake of pointing it directly to /usr/X11R7/lib, but it copies the
XXX_dri.so's to this directory, so it should actually
be /usr/X11R7/lib/modules/dri (create this directory prior to installation)..

..and that should be it.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.