Re: [patch 00/2] improve .text size on gcc 4.0 and newer compilers

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 16:31:57 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > For example, I add "inline" for static functions which are only called
> > from one place.
>
> That's actually not a good practice. Two reasons:
>
> - debuggability goes way down. Oops reports give a much nicer call-chain
> and better locality for uninlined code.

yes, and to improve debuggability, i often do this at the top of
debugged .c modules:

#undef inline
#define inline

to get good stacktraces. So debuggability is i think another argument to
further decouple 'inline' from 'always inline' - so a global .config
DEBUG_ option could turn all inlines into real function calls. (we
already have CONFIG_FRAME_POINTERS to improve stack-trace output, at the
price of slightly slower code.)

Ingo