Re: [patch] latency tracer, 2.6.15-rc7

From: David Lang
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 08:30:38 EST

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Dipankar Sarma wrote:

I do agree that the two layers of batching really makes things
subtle. I think the best we can do is to figure out some way of
automatic throttling in RCU and forced quiescent state under extreme
conditions. That way we will have less dependency on softirq
throttling.

would it make sense to have the RCU subsystems with a threshold so that when more then X items are outstanding they trigger a premption of all other CPU's ASAP (forceing the scheduling break needed to make progress on clearing RCU)? This wouldn't work in all cases, but it could significantly reduce the problem situations.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare