Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: David Lang
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 09:06:13 EST

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

Even if Adrian's not trying to make this point (he's just removing duplicate
drivers, and opting for the newer ones), we accepted ALSA into the kernel.
It's probably about time we let OSS die properly, for sanity purposes.

Avoiding bloat is more important.

given that the ALSA drivers are not going to be removed, isn't it bloat to have two drivers for the same card?

yes, an individual compiled kernel may be slightly smaller by continueing to support the OSS driver, but the source (and the maintinance) are significantly worse by haveing two drivers instead of just one.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare