Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: Joern Nettingsmeier
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 07:18:03 EST

Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
Also more than four years exist another thing: generaly sound suport
in Linux kernel is broken by design. Points where it is broken:

1) ALSA API forces not use devices files and many things on sound
managing level are handled on user space library. This dissallow
<snip>
2) ALSA API is to complicated: most applications opens single sound stream. All what system user expect it is plaing sound by more then
<snip>
3) ALSA kernel architecture is to complicated. This main reason why configuring sound on Linux is SO COMPLICATED. From my system:
<snip>
ALSA is also requires much more bigger code size than OSS variant (count all snd* modules size, jackd and libasound and compare this
with OSS modules and user space OSS library size). Simillar is on
<snip>

oh yeah. why is linux so fscking big? my olde msdos would fit on one floppy. whiiine.

what a load of crap. alsa is a serious architecture meant for serious, maximally efficient usage with all kinds of (wildly different) hardware.

desktop stuff and "you have mail" beeps are a fscking corner case.

this is like whining about the oh so complex networking infrastructure and iptables and constantly reminiscing how simple it used to be to set up a modem on /dev/ttyS0.

get real.

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

if you are a free (as in "free speech") software developer
and you happen to be travelling near my home, drop me a line
and come round for a free (as in "free beer") beer. :-D