Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: Marcin Dalecki
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 11:42:55 EST

On 2006-01-04, at 15:46, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

Still would be nice if users of ALSA who have the OSS backwards compat
enabled would thus also get transparent software mixing for all apps
using the OSS API.
not crucial, that's not what I'm saying, just nice if it would be possible.

Technicall it's trivial to implement the soft-mixing in the kernel.
The question is whether it's the right implementation.
We have a user-space softmix for ALSA, and aoss wrapper for OSS using
it. (I know aoss still has some problems that should be fixed,
though.)

Software mixing in the kernel is like FPU ops in the kernel...

Could you please elaborate a tad bit more on the analogy? It doesn't appear to be stunningly obvious.
Are you aware of the reasons why floating point operations are avoided inside the kernel?
They are *not* principal - it's just engineering pragmatism.