Re: 2.6.14.5 to 2.6.15 patch

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 10:57:00 EST

On Thursday 05 January 2006 15:37, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 1/5/06, Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > If you can send me some suggested verbiage I'll put it in the FAQ. We
> > > can also make a page that's directly linked from the "stable release",
> > > kind of like we have info links for -mm patches etc.
> >
> > I hope somebody else here can minimise my logic; I think the verbosity is
> > necessary to completely explain the "patch nightmare" to everybody
> > concerned.
>
> [snip]
>
> Nice writeup, but why not simply put a copy of
> Documentation/applying-patches.txt online and link to that?
> It contains more or less the same stuff you just wrote.

It's certainly one possibility, but this file is at least 4x more verbose than
my summary. I aimed to write something instructional, rather than provide a
complete explanation of the "patch problem".

If this issue is large enough to get its own page on kernel.org, then a more
complete description may indeed be justified. Comments?

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.