Re: 2.6.14.5 to 2.6.15 patch

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 11:42:10 EST

Alistair John Strachan wrote:

Nice writeup, but why not simply put a copy of
Documentation/applying-patches.txt online and link to that?
It contains more or less the same stuff you just wrote.

It's certainly one possibility, but this file is at least 4x more verbose than my summary. I aimed to write something instructional, rather than provide a complete explanation of the "patch problem".

If this issue is large enough to get its own page on kernel.org, then a more complete description may indeed be justified. Comments?

It'd be easy to make its own page, and then link it from the FAQ. Heck, the easiest might be to link it to the gitweb checkout of Documentation/applying-patches.txt, but having it be nicely HTML formatted would probably be better.

-hpa