Re: 2.6.15-ck1

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 18:21:00 EST

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 04:58 am, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:00:00PM +1100, Con Kolivas wrote:
> > Added:
> > +2.6.15-dynticks-060101.patch
>
> On practically unused (booted and logged in into GNOME, one terminal
> emulator, clock gdesklet ticking) desktop system -- Sempron 2500+,
> pmstats show between 450 and 600 Hz. Is this normal?

Chances are your hardware is one that doesn't play well with dynticks then.
Compile in the timer info and use the timertop utility to see if there really
is something increasing your timer activity to 450HZ and if there isn't then
it's a problem with dynticks and your hardware. This is the problem I'm
currently seeing on SMP configs (too many HZ) and I have yet to figure out
what it is about the IO APIC that makes this happen.

Cheers,
Con