Re: oops pauser.

From: David Lang
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 20:22:56 EST

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Dave Jones wrote:

> (*) If the oops is longer than 25 lines, ... you can't even use scrollback
> because scrollback is cleared when you change consoles. X runs by default
> on tty7, and the kernel dumps it somewhere else. (And even if it dumped to
> tty7 directly, you would not see it.)

What to do about oopses whilst in X has been the subject of much
head-scratching for years now. It's come up at least at the
last two kernel summits, and I'll hazard a guess it'll come up
again this year. The amount of work necessary to make it all
work on both kernel side and X side isn't unsubstantial however,
so I wouldn't count on it working too soon.

hmm, if you can hope that someone will grab a camera to report an oops, how about them grabbing a tape recorder/mp3 recorder to record audio from the speaker. it's not fast, but you don't have that much data to output, do it in morse (with the audio explination of what's going to happen first)

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare