Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 04:53:00 EST

Hannu Savolainen wrote:

Btw, about the current OSS drivers in the kernel. They are really obsolete because they are based on some 10 years old API version. For this reason it's necessary to remove them in the nearish future (maybe at the same time when we release the OpenOSS version). Comparing ALSA against the kernel OSS drivers is pointless because current OSS has very little common with that code.

Hannu,

This is the LKML. So, we are considering KERNEL code. Not some external binary blob. We are therefore suggesting to remove the kernel OSS drivers as that is all we have to compare with ALSA.
We can't compare a binary blob with open source as the binary blob will never be part of mainline.
Even you admit that the OSS drivers in the kernel mainline are "really obsolete", so you must agree with this thread that we should remove them.

Only if your binary blobs are released as GPL so that they can be included in mainline can it really be any use to discuss them.

James