Re: request for opinion on synaptics, adb and powerpc

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 19:49:31 EST

> Fedora handles this situation by always installing the synaptics package
> and setting up the X config file automatically if the computer has a
> synaptics touchpad. I guess this approach could work for other
> distributions too.

The problem we have is a bit different (or I didn't understand
something). The mac trackpad has it's own kernel driver and is all
relative mode. Luca's patch will make it work in absolute mode instead
for use with X synaptic driver, thus providing more "features" than the
default relative-mode one.

So what we are looking for is a way to have the kernel driver switch
between raw and ps2 modes based on instruction/ioctl from the userland
client (the X synaptic driver). This shouldn't be much of a problem if
the X synaptic driver switches it to raw at X start and on EnterVT and
back to what it was on LeaveVT...

Ben.