Re: git pull on Linux/ACPI release tree

From: Tony Luck
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 15:50:29 EST

I'll try to update the using-topic-branches document to capture this.
Some of the problem is that it doesn't quite capture what I'm doing
with my test/release branches.

My release branch really is just used as a transfer point to Linus.
I usually[1] don't leave patches sitting in "release" for long enough
that I'll be tempted to merge in from Linus ... once I decide that
some patches are ready to go to Linus I'll update "release" from Linus
(which will be a fast-forward, so no history) merge in the topic
branches, do one final sanity build, push to kernel.org and send
the "please pull" e-mail.

The huge majority of my "automatic update from upstream" merges
go into my test branch ... which never becomes part of the real
history as I never ask Linus to pull from it.

-Tony

[1] Sometimes I goof on this because I forget that I've applied
a trivial patch directly to the release branch without going through
a topic branch. I think I'll fix my update script to check for this case.