Re: git pull on Linux/ACPI release tree

From: Martin Langhoff
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 01:07:27 EST

On 1/9/06, Brown, Len <len.brown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is completely insane.
> Do you have any idea what "sometimes has problems merging" means
> in practice? It means the tools are really nifty in the trivial
> case but worse than worthless when you need them the most.

Len,

all I meant was that you will sometimes see conflicts. And in that
case, you are far better off cancelling the rebase and doing a merge,
where you will have to resolve the conflicts by hand.

git-rebase is for when the potential merge is clearly trivial. In any
other case, you do want a proper merge. But in any case, it is easy to
do

git-fetch <upstream> && git-rebase <upstream>

and if it does anything but a very trivial merge, backtrack and do a merge.

In any case, if I have any suspicion that the merge may not be trivial, I do

git-fetch <upstream> && gitk --since=" 1 month ago" upstream master

before deciding on a course of action. Of course, you can merge all
the time. It's whether people care about a readable/useful history
afterwards.

cheers,

martin