Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: Ville Herva
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 09:21:24 EST

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:52:11AM -0500, you [Lee Revell] wrote:

> Sure, we'd like the bug report.

I will try to come up with one.

> I just wanted to point out that many people who tell everyone that "ALSA
> sucks" like you and JWZ, have really just made the mistake of buying
> bleeding edge barely-supported hardware.

Yes.

I'll happily admit I definetely made just that mistake.

Before I bought the new card, I did some quick asking around, and heard that
M-Audio was supposedly good. I just wanted better sound quality than the
integrated I815 sound (shouldn't be much to ask), and preferably HW mixing.
I checked that revo7.1 was supported, but when I went to the reseller, they
were out of stock for that one. So I made a quick and unconsidered decision
to buy revo5.1 instead.

So it was definetely bad research on my part.

But I still maintain that the asoundrc required for swmixing is not as
trivial as "just works". It wasn't even with i815 audio.

> If vendors gave us more docs so that reverse engineering drivers was not
> the norm, the situation would improve greatly.

I understand.

-- v --

v@xxxxxx