Re: PROBLEM: PS/2 keyboard does not work with 2.6.15

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 10:31:38 EST

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> On Sunday 08 January 2006 16:23, Martin Bretschneider wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Jens Nödler who has got the same motheboard (Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 with
> > nforce4 chipset) can confirm my problem. But he found out that the
> > keyboard connected to the ps/2 port does work with kernel 2.6.15 if
> > "USB keyboard support" is disabled in the BIOS.
> >

> Ok, I an getting enough reports to conclude that the new usb-handoff
> code does not seem to be working. Let's try CCing USB list and other
> parties involved :)
>
> Greg, Alan, any ideas?

It would be nice to know which part of the usb-handoff code causes the
problem. In the 2.6.15 source file drivers/usb/host/pci-quirks.c, at the
end of the file is this routine:

static void __devinit quirk_usb_early_handoff(struct pci_dev *pdev)
{
if (pdev->class == PCI_CLASS_SERIAL_USB_UHCI)
quirk_usb_handoff_uhci(pdev);
else if (pdev->class == PCI_CLASS_SERIAL_USB_OHCI)
quirk_usb_handoff_ohci(pdev);
else if (pdev->class == PCI_CLASS_SERIAL_USB_EHCI)
quirk_usb_disable_ehci(pdev);
}

If you comment out the call to quirk_usb_handoff_uhci and rename the
/lib/modules/2.6.15/kernel/drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.ko file so that it
doesn't get loaded automatically, does that fix things?

Similarly, if you comment out the call to quirk_usb_disable_ehci and
rename /lib/modules/.../ehci-hcd.ko so that it doesn't get loaded, does
that help?

Leonid's system log showed that he doesn't have an OHCI controller, but if
Martin does then he should do the same test with quirk_usb_handoff_ohci.

Alan Stern