Re: Fw: crash on x86_64 - mm related?

From: Ryan Richter
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 15:04:09 EST

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 07:31:11PM +0000, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Ryan Richter wrote:
> > To get the backups back, I just ran a recent kernel with
> > try_direct_io=0. If there's nothing further for me to test at this
> > time, I guess I'll go back to doing that until there's something to try.
> > Is that OK?
>
> I think we'll allow you the luxury of making successful backups for now ;)
>
> Thanks for all your work on this, I'm sure it's irritating to you that
> we haven't found the answer yet. I'm still clueless about it (despite
> the excellent clues you've provided). And personally I don't like
> asking someone "try this, try that" until I've a pretty good hypothesis
> to devise a patch to test out. Still thinking it over. Someone else
> may have a better idea of what to try next.

The episode where I blew through half the tapes was mostly my fault. I
can avoid that in the future while still doing destructive testing, so
you don't have to be too reluctant to give me things to test. I just
wanted to make sure there was no further utility in getting oopses from
Linus's patch.

And try_direct_io=0 works just fine, and doesn't seem to have any
performance impact or anything, so at this point I'm not losing any
sleep.

Thanks,
-ryan