Re: 2G memory split

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 09:42:43 EST

* Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> + Select the wanted split between kernel and user memory.
> +
> + If the address range available to the kernel is less than the
> + physical memory installed, the remaining memory will be available
> + as "high memory". Accessing high memory is a little more costly
> + than low memory, as it needs to be mapped into the kernel first.

make it _ALOT_ more clear that mere mortals should not touch this
option! Also, you do not mention the userspace-VM fragmentation issues.
Plus, if a user uses a 2G/2G split with more than 2G of RAM, the kernel
should print a warning that it's running with a non-default split. Do
the same if the user uses a non-default split with less than 960MB of
RAM.

> +
> + Note that selecting anything but the default 3G/1G split will make
> + your kernel incompatible with binary only modules.

it's not 'will' but 'may', and even then, tons of .config things can
break bin-only modules, so just skip this paragraph.

looks good to me otherwise, with the text fixes it's:

Acked-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>

Ingo