Re: smp race fix between invalidate_inode_pages* and do_no_page

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 03:50:35 EST

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 03:08:31PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > I'd be inclined to think a lock_page is not a big SMP scalability
> > problem because the struct page's cacheline(s) will be written to
> > several times in the process of refcounting anyway. Such a workload
> > would also be running into tree_lock as well.
>
> I seem to recall you wanted to make the tree_lock a readonly lock for
> readers for the exact same scalability reason? do_no_page is quite a
> fast path for the tree lock too. But I totally agree the unavoidable is
> the atomic_inc though, good point, so it worth more to remove the
> tree_lock than to remove the page lock, the tree_lock can be avoided the
> atomic_inc on page->_count not.
>
> The other bonus that makes this attractive is that then we can drop the
> *whole* vm_truncate_count mess... vm_truncate_count and
> inode->trunate_count exists for the only single reason that do_no_page
> must not map into the pte a page that is under truncation.

I think you'll find this hard - filemap_nopage() is the first to find the
page but we need lock coverage up in do_no_page(). So the ->nopage
protocol will need to be changed to "must return with the page locked". Or
we add a new ->nopage_locked and call that if the vm_ops implements it.

But I agree it's a good change if we can pull it off.