Re: [2.6 patch] ftape: remove some outdated information from Kconfig files

From: Marcin Dalecki
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 08:20:06 EST

On 2006-01-10, at 21:57, Adrian Bunk wrote:

This patch removes some outdated information about the ftape driver
like
pointers to no longer existing webpages from Kconfig files.

You could just remove this driver completely as well. Because
practically since
it's inclusion in to the main stream kernel it has been outdated and
nonfunctioning.

There exists configurations for which it does work.

4. Right now the corresponding user space tools can't be found on the
web any longer.

The only required tools are standard things like mt and tar or cpio.
The tape formatting tools are out in the wild somewhere, big deal.

There are definitively no tape formatting tools for the in-kernel version.
Formatting was only supported by the external driver ever.
And this brings your former statement about some supposedly working configurations
in to question.

Or are you volunteering to take over maintenance of ftape-4.x and merge
that into the kernel?

No. Tough I have been messing with the ftape driver a *long* time ago and
still have two QIC drives in the dust bin - I'm considering this kind
of hardware obsolete by a large margin.