Re: 2.6.15-mm2: reiser3 oops on suspend and more (bonus oops shot!)

From: Mattia Dongili
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 09:27:41 EST

On Wed, January 11, 2006 2:00 am, Andrew Morton said:
> Mattia Dongili <malattia@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
>> 3- This laptop experienced 2 long stalls (20~25 sec) during boot,
>> apparently after scanning usb_storage devices and starting portmap.
>
> You mean before starting portmap?

well, _while_ starting portmap. As you can see from the traces I have
portmap sleeping in sys_poll, consider my reflexes are not that fast
so the trace might be well more than 10 secs after the /etc/init.d/portmap
was run.
Trying to stop and start it again didn't have any delay.

>> Is it time for me to learn to git bisect? (Tomorrow morning I'll try
>> (CET) if plain 2.6.15 also shows the same stalls).
>
> Please test the next Linus git tree (2.6.15-git7) and see if we've
> propagated it into there too.
>
> There's not much point in fiddling with -mm2. If git7 is OK then please
> test the next -mm and if it still fails then yes, doing a bisection would
> really help.
>
> <types madly>
>
> See http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/bisecting-mm-trees.txt

ooooh :) really really thanks!!
I was starting to script something that just some hours later revealed to
be like stGit (well at least had the same base idea).

Anyway I'm currently using -git7 and building -mm3, -git7 is OK:
no stalls, no reiser3 oops (yet) and no ACPI misaligned pointer.

Will report on -mm3 as soon as possible

--
mattia
:wq!