Re: -mm seems significanty slower than mainline on kernbench

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 21:26:44 EST

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:23 pm, Peter Williams wrote:
> Con Kolivas wrote:
> >>
> >>I disagree. I think that there is a clear mistake in my original patch
> >>that this patch fixes.
> >
> > I agree with you on that. The real concern is that we were just about to
> > push it upstream. So where does this leave us? I propose we delay
> > merging the "improved smp nice handling" patch into mainline pending your
> > further changes.
>
> I think that they're already in 2.6.15 minus my "move load not tasks"
> modification which I was expecting to go into 2.6.16. Is that what you
> meant?

Yes, akpm included your patch under the name of something like "improved smp
nice handling". My smp nice patches went into mainline 2.6.15 and were
extensively tested for performance regressions. This is about your move load
not tasks modification which is the patch in question that might be affecting
performance.

Con